Rise of Mutants
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rise of Mutants

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Migrate away from Canons

Go down 
+4
Shadow
Matt / Magneto
Wolfy
Animal
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Animal
Alpha/Changeling
Animal

Number of posts : 103
Single or taken (rp wise) : Animal: Single Cosmos: "Widowed"
Registration date : 2011-08-06

Migrate away from Canons Empty
PostSubject: Migrate away from Canons   Migrate away from Canons I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 12:49 pm

I will admit this is partly inspired by my little mess-up in making a second custom character, but also inspired by my own experience in RP-ing

Now for those of you who play Canons: I'm not saying your canons should be scrapped. I'm not saying new characters should not be allowed to apply for canons. i

I'm simply sggesting we take emphasis off of canon characters. Try and encourage people to make original characters (both good and evil) s much as they can. basically my justification is this: Too much focus on Canons makes a storyline stale.

Everyone knows how the dynamic between Brotherood and the Xmen plays out. Everyone knows Charles and agneto used to be buddies, but now fight against eachother. Re-hashing that same struggle over and over on a site will simply makke us lose interest.

Now part of introducigng variety is what kitty is workign on which is site-wde plotting. however a much faster and simpler way is to have people create unique custom characters. Toss in some crzy psychotic murderers who don't care about the fight over mutant vs. human, and will breathe life and conflict into the storyline here. As it stands Brotherhood and X-men are more or less chummy chummy with eachother. If we put less focus on Canon characters, and thse teams, we may see interesting ne wmutants come out, who become a rela and veritable threat to either mutants, or humans. Who knows. This may then take us in a different direction than the comics ever wouldd. It gives characters a chance to develop more..

SOme of the most interesting sites I've been on are ones where Canons were not allowed at all. This is not to say canons are a horrible thing that wll kill a site, but custom characters breed better plot and storylines.

This is just my two cennts. Take it or leave it, and if I ofend anyone I apologize.

((Also please don;t mind spelling errors. My laptop won't run mozilla, and has no spell-checker on it haha))
Back to top Go down
Wolfy
Beta/Lupine
Wolfy

Male Number of posts : 846
Affliation : X-men
Single or taken (rp wise) : ~Forever Alone~
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Migrate away from Canons   Migrate away from Canons I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 1:12 pm

Hm, I don't want to take sides, but he has a point. Maybe another human character would do us good? We could actually start having anti-mutant protests and things like that. Anti-mutant crap is one of the reasons the comics and shows are so interesting.

On the other hand, too many custom characters can get confusing, and then often people will start choosing characters they like more, and neglect all their other ones. I think that's one of the biggest problems with multiple custom characters.

Meh, the site will be great either way. We have good admins and mods, they always find a way to make things interesting.

((Animal, do you think you can get Google chrome? That has a spell checker. ^.^
I would die without my spell checker. U_U))
Back to top Go down
Matt / Magneto
Admin/Beta/Master of Formal Beat downs
Matt / Magneto

Male Number of posts : 854
Affliation : Brotherhood
Single or taken (rp wise) : Single
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Migrate away from Canons   Migrate away from Canons I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 1:34 pm

I've already thought about this.

Canon issue - It's all on Kitty, I've made suggestions that side-stepped original ideas to create more but I'm not going to over-rule.
Personally I'm a fan or not allowing any canons and creating something new from a loosely based idea, but as I've said it's not my place to over-rule.

Groups - As of now you dealing with a system in progress, the staff did not enforce a be nice to each other clause so the 'issue' is user made and could be 'solved' by the users if so desired.
So you know I've been pushing for the Acolytes to create a defined force that is hostile.

And Wolfy, he said he normally uses Firefox, it has a spell-check.
Back to top Go down
Shadow
Beta/Lupine
Shadow

Female Number of posts : 598
Registration date : 2011-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Migrate away from Canons   Migrate away from Canons I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

I don't want this to turn into a fight, so I'm not adding my opinion.

But Matt, I think Wolfy meant for him to see if his laptop would work with Google Chrome, because Firefox won't work for him right now.

Animal, try running a virus scanner on it. That or check for an update. My laptop, before Nyx did who knows what to it, didn't work with Firefox until Gateway came out with an update for it.
Back to top Go down
Alexis
Beta/Neyaphem
Alexis

Male Number of posts : 230
Affliation : The Brotherhood of Mutants
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Migrate away from Canons   Migrate away from Canons I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 1:02 am

Back to the topic at hand...

What if we allow second characters, but they have to be of the opposite faction/brotherhood.

I don't know if its just me but there seems to be 3:1 ratio between xmen and brotherhood.

So I think this would be a good idea....
Back to top Go down
Jake Arin
Admin/Alpha/The X-men's Soilder 'A'
Jake Arin

Female Number of posts : 1535
Affliation : X-men
Single or taken (rp wise) : single and always will be.
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Migrate away from Canons   Migrate away from Canons I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 1:58 pm

That's a good idea, I mean that's what we did on another site.
You had to be a good roleplayer to have a chance at being approved to have another character, then you had to have it on the opposite side.

There are also no true neutral characters, save Izzy. (That I can remember. Don't post how so-and-so is, because it doesn't matter.) Maybe we can get a few true neutral also.
Back to top Go down
http://www.citiesofdarkness.forumotion.net
Kitty Pryde / Ororo
Admin/Alpha/Resident Diva
Kitty Pryde / Ororo

Female Number of posts : 2074
Affliation : X-Men
Single or taken (rp wise) : Single. My prefrences are furry, blue, and with gold eyes
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Migrate away from Canons   Migrate away from Canons I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Okay, okay. I give. You may make a second character cannon or oc on the conditions:

• They are in the opposing faction
  • If your character is a neutral mutant, your second will go to the Brotherhood
  • If you fail to keep both characters active, you will be forced into giving up your less active.
  • Try to make a well-developed character that is unrelated to the cannons in terms of powers/family tree

Sound reasonable? Good!

Migrate away from Canons Tumblr11
Back to top Go down
https://xmenrise.rpg-board.net
Alexis
Beta/Neyaphem
Alexis

Male Number of posts : 230
Affliation : The Brotherhood of Mutants
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Migrate away from Canons   Migrate away from Canons I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 8:52 pm

This... makes me happy.
Back to top Go down
Izzy
Alpha
Izzy

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Migrate away from Canons   Migrate away from Canons I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 8:58 pm

By the way Evan has taken me into the xaviers school for gifted youngsters, and my mummy said yes.
Back to top Go down
Kitty Pryde / Ororo
Admin/Alpha/Resident Diva
Kitty Pryde / Ororo

Female Number of posts : 2074
Affliation : X-Men
Single or taken (rp wise) : Single. My prefrences are furry, blue, and with gold eyes
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Migrate away from Canons   Migrate away from Canons I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 4:19 am

Alright I'll add you. Also since m rules are somewhat rushed, matt has come up with a revised edition.
Back to top Go down
https://xmenrise.rpg-board.net
Animal
Alpha/Changeling
Animal

Number of posts : 103
Single or taken (rp wise) : Animal: Single Cosmos: "Widowed"
Registration date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Migrate away from Canons   Migrate away from Canons I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 2:07 pm

Lol. Woo. Step in the right direction :)

I think this will help creativity/attracting more people lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Migrate away from Canons   Migrate away from Canons I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Migrate away from Canons
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Rise of Mutants :: OOC :: Member Suggestions/Complaints/Questions-
Jump to: